MÖNCHSKIRCHE MUSEUM, Salzwedel + ATELIERHAUS HILMSEN RESIDENTS
On the northern edge of old town Salzwedel, a gothic church with an adjoining convent was established by Franciscan monks in the 13th Century. In the 15th century, the church was enlarged to accommodate the addition of a choir. After the Reformation, a Latin school was housed in the monastery buildings from 1575 to 1581. Since 1964, the church is no longer used for worship. Today, within the church’s gothic 1200s brickwork, the space functions as a concert hall and museum exhibition space. This is not simply a historic site but one with new life interacting with the community. Other medieval churches in the old town are the Marienkirche and Lorenzkirche. Immediately west of the church flows the Jeetze.
Many artists who participate in the Atelierhaus Hilmsen Residency are invited to have solo exhibitions in the MÖNCHSKIRCHE MUSEUM one year after their residency session.
Sites to see at the Monk’s Church:
- The carved stalls shortly after 1500
- The organ loft of the late Renaissance of 1579/81
- A pulpit from 1581
- The grave stone of Anna von der Schulenburg from 1575
- On the northeast corner of the church is the sculpture of a stylized praying mantis, Für Walter – statt Blumen, made of iron by artist Hans Molzberger, added to the church in the year 2000